Under the Disability Discrimination Act of 1992 agencies must ensure that people with disabilities have the same access to information and services as everyone else.
The Australian Government ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in 2008, which specifically recognises that access to information, communications, and services is a human right. The PHN Immunisation Support Program website must conform with Level AA of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0) as a legal requirement of the Australian Government’s Digital Service Standard (DSS).
Towards Level AA conformance
Some of the ways we aim to meet WCAG 2.0 Level AA conformance include:
- Relative font sizing is used so users can adjust text size.
- All effort is made to ensure our content is edited and formatted for high readability e.g. use of lists, simple paragraphs and explanatory information for complex concepts wherever possible.
- PDF documents are structured for accessibility conformance.
- Videos and audio embedded within the website are accompanied by closed captions and/or transcripts.
- Our code is industry standard Hypertext Markup Language (HTML5) and uses Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to ensure presentation is separate from structure.
- Tables are not used for layout.
- We include Web Accessibility Initiative – Accessible Rich Internet Applications (WAI-ARIA) roles on presentational elements to enable assistive technology to read pages according to a page outline.
Navigation and links
- All pages include a search option.
- All navigation is keyboard accessible.
- Links are contextual where possible to make navigation easier for those using assistive technology.
- Forms are keyboard accessible.
- Forms are structured to explicitly associate form controls with labels for those using assistive technology.
Use of images
Alternative text is used for all website images where meaning is to be conveyed
Content or services provided on our website by third-party suppliers might not currently meet WCAG 2.0 Level AA conformance. In the instance of any third-party content or service available via the PHN Immunisation Support Program website not conforming to WCAG 2.0 Level AA we claim only partial conformance.
The PHN Immunisation Support Program will make every effort to provide assistance and/or an alternative accessible version of content upon request.
Feedback and assistance
If you have a disability and you’re experiencing difficulty accessing information or services on our website, please get in touch with us.
The PHN Immunisation Support Program team will make every effort to provide assistance and/or an alternative accessible version of content upon request.
Phone: +61 2 8217 8700
Tips for using this website
You can use access keys on this website as an alternative to mouse navigation:
1 - Go to the home page
2 - Skip to content
3 - Skip to main navigation
4 - Skip to local navigation
5 - Search
L - Listen to page
Use these combinations for common browsers:
- On a PC using Internet Explorer: 'Alt' + <access key>, then 'Enter'
- On a PC using Mozilla Firefox: 'Alt' + <access key>
- On an Apple computer using Safari: 'Control' + <access key>
Each page use a logical mark-up structure. This improves the browsing experience for all individuals, including users of screen readers and other assistive devices.
Changing the size of text
You can change the size of text in your browser settings.